Because the Russia-Ukraine conflict enters its 119th day, we check out the primary developments.
Listed here are the important thing occasions to this point on Wednesday, June 22.
Get the most recent updates right here.
- Russian shelling killed not less than 15 civilians within the japanese Kharkiv area on Tuesday, together with 5 within the metropolis of Kharkiv, the regional governor has mentioned, as Russia steps up assaults within the area.
- Russian forces have pushed deeper into the Donbas area, with Ukrainian officers saying the autumn of the front-line village Toshkivka, close to the strategically necessary cities of Severodonetsk and Lysychansk.
- The UK’s defence ministry mentioned it’s extremely probably that Russia is making ready to deploy a lot of reserves to the entrance traces of the Donbas.
- A Ukrainian photojournalist and a soldier who was accompanying him after they have been killed within the first weeks of Russia’s invasion seem to have been “coldly executed”, Reporters With out Borders has mentioned, after an investigation into their deaths.
- Russia on Wednesday will mark the anniversary of the day Nazi Germany’s forces invaded the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941, with President Vladimir Putin as a result of lay flowers to honour the lifeless.
- Indonesian President Joko Widodo will go to each Ukraine and Russia subsequent week to satisfy his counterparts and push for a peaceable decision to the battle, the Indonesian international minister mentioned.
- Russia’s ambassador to the US, Anatoly Antonov, mentioned his workplace has not acquired any requests from Washington concerning the two Individuals captured in Ukraine, in keeping with Moscow’s state TASS information company.
- Ukraine is ready to develop into an official candidate for European Union membership on Thursday in a symbolic however morale-boosting resolution following Russia’s invasion, ministers and diplomats have mentioned.
- Russian companies are more and more relocating from Switzerland – lengthy house to middlemen serving to to match Russian producers with worldwide patrons – to Dubai as a result of sanctions.
- Turkey is planning to host Russian, Ukrainian and United Nations officers for talks within the coming weeks geared toward resuming the export of grain that’s at the moment caught in Black Sea ports, in keeping with media stories.
- EU leaders goal to keep up strain on Russia at a summit this week by committing to additional work on sanctions, a draft doc confirmed, with gold amongst property which may be focused.
- Germany faces a sure recession if already faltering Russian gasoline provides utterly cease, an trade physique warned.